Monday, February 12, 2007

MDS Update .... part 1

The time has come to write about my MDS adventure!!!!

Our group of 12 left for Louisiana on Feb.2. The ride there was a lot of fun! Krystle and I spent half the time driving with a couple from Winnipeg, Vance and Bev Rehill and the other half we spent travelling with Merl and Evan. We spent most of our time sleeping and watching movies with Vance and Bev and by the time we got to Merl and Evans van we were ready to play games!! Evan brought a game called "RATS". For some reason it was a TOTALLY addicting game even tho there was not much to it!! Evan told us before we started playing that he always wins. We tried to prove him wrong but he actaully just kept on winning.



We spent our first night in Colombia. Once again, Evan came to our room and we spent some more time playing RATS! Evan seemed to still be winning so we added in a few more rules of our own..... and wouldn't you know it........ Krystle won!!

Evan and Krystle during an intense game of RATS!


Krystle Wins!!!

Speaking of rats, this is the cute rat that Jared bought for me to bring along on my trip.

Krystle and I comparing on how much darker I am than her


Our second night we stopped in Hammond. (not sure where that was exactly)
The next morning we headed off to New Orleans to do some touring. Here are a few pictures of what I saw.........

The famous "Bourbon Street"


Krystle, Evan, and I pose in front of some of the first real palm trees I have ever seen.


A young boy tap dancing for us

Krystle and I posing by fake palm trees



We drove up to Six Flags and it looked like nothing had been worked on since the hurricane.




Pictures of hurricane damage



The "Superdome"

The water level on one of the houses we looked into.


Sunday night we headed down to Diamond which was about 1 hour from New Orleans.


Krystle and I personalized our room door.

Our beautiful Abode




Monday we started off our work week. Sandy Eidse and I headed off to a site to paint baseboards, wash windows and putty. The man we worked for was Alfred Pete.

Alfred Pete's backyard


****I will continue to post tomorrow but right now I have to quickly get ready for my hockey game!!!



5 comments:

Kelsey Loewen said...

Jill: I'm glad you had some time to revel in the beauty of New Orleans admist all the devastation from the hurricane. Glad to have you back safe and sound though :)

Raquel said...

I can't wait to see the rest of your pictures Jill, Looks/sounds like you had an awesome time...we should try to go the same week one year! That'd be Grand!

Olivia said...

Hey!! Looks like you had fun playing games there! We drove through the 9th Ward, but didn't take any pics. Glad you got some. It's so sad, isn't it? Too see still all the destruction after 1 1/2 years.
I think next year all us 'young folks' should go together! Wouldn't that be fun! :D

Anonymous said...

Why do you say Fake Palm trees? Did someone say they were fake because there are actually Palm trees like that? Just wondering

Jillayne said...

Pretty much because someone said they were fake, plus when I went close enought to them I knew they were fake! Is that what you are asking???